OCHA Situation Report No. 1
30 August 2004
This message is not an official hurricane warning or alert for any country
1. The National Weather Center in Miami reports that at 15:00 GMT today, the center of Hurricane Frances was located near latitude 19.3 North, longitude 58.7 West or about 300 miles (480 km) East-Northeast of the Northern Leeward Islands.
2. A Hurricane Watch remains in effect for the British and Northern U.S. Virgin Islands, including St. Thomas, St. John and surrounding islands and for the Island of Culebra.
3. A Tropical Storm Watch has been issued for Puerto Rico.
4. A Hurricane Watch for Vieques has been downgraded to a Tropical storm watch.
5. Frances is moving towards the West near 13Miles/h (20km/h). Maximum sustained winds aer 120Miles/h (195km/h) with higher gusts.
6. For further information, please refer to the Website of the National Hurricane Service in Miami at www.nhc.noaa.gov, and www.solar.ifa.hawaii.edu/Tropical/Gif/atl.latest.gif
7. This situation report, together with further information on other ongoing emergencies is also available on the OCHA Internet Website at http://www.reliefweb.int.
Telephone: +41-22-917 12 34
Fax: +41-22-917 00 23
In case of emergency only: Tel. +41-22-917 20 10
Ms. Isabel Garcia-Gill, E-mail: email@example.com, Direct Tel. +41-22-917 1618
(GVA: Ms. Elizabeth Byrs, direct Tel. +41-22-917 2653
(N.Y.): Ms. Stephanie Bunker, direct Tel. +1-917-367 51 26
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.