Philippines

Turnover of multi-million evac centers up

Format
News and Press Release
Source
Posted
Originally published
Origin
View original

ROXAS CITY, Capiz, Feb. 10 (PIA) – Three multi-million evacuation centers for residents of coastal barangays in Capiz are ready for turnover in March.

Disaster Risk Reduction Program Manager Francisco Megoc of HEKS Swiss Church Aid disclosed that the one storey evacuation center in Barangay Manapao, Pontevedra, Capiz is expected to be turned over to the residents in March.

The turnover by HEKS of the two other two-storey evacuation centers, particularly in Bantigue, Panay town and in Binaobawan, Pilar town will be in April, he said.

Megoc said that each of the evacuation center known as “Safe Haven” costs approximately P10-million.

The three areas that were identified as site for the project are coastal villages in the province.

HEKS Swiss Church Aid is one of the international organizations that had been helping the people of Capiz after supertyphoon Yolanda.

Series of training are conducted for the residents and barangay officials of the different recipient areas including the faculty and staff of the schools where said evacuation buildings were constructed to enhance their capability in the management, maintenance and operation for the sustainability of the said evacuation facility.

For Pilar mayor Gideon Ike Patricio, the project in their area is a big help to their residents since it will be their temporary shelter especially in times of disaster.

Patricio likewise conveyed his appreciation to the people of Switzerland for choosing their area as one of the recipients of said multi-million project. (JCM/JBG/PIA6-Capiz)