OCHA Situation Report No. 4
Philippines - Volcanic Eruption
14 March 2000
1. Since Mt Mayon in Luzon, the Philippines, has been relatively calm recently, the Philippines Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS) have lowered the alert on 9 March from level 5 denoting hazardous eruption in progress, to level 4, which signifies that the volcano is still restive. The alert is in effect over the 6-km radius Permanent Danger Zone around the volcano and the 7-km radius Extended Danger Zone in the southeast quadrant. Meanwhile, the new lava flow deposits are very unstable and susceptible to erosion and remobilization in the event of heavy rains.
2. According to an update issued by the Office of Civil Defence of the Government of the Philippines on 10 March, 12,573 families comprising 60,796 persons are still housed in 43 evacuation centres. Damage to agricultural production, including loss of farm animals, has been estimated at PHP 89.9 million (approx. USD 2.2 million).
3. Various Government agencies continue to extend aid and monitor the condition of the affected population. Nine municipalities have benefited from relief assistance, to the value of PHP 2.6 million (approx. USD 64,000). On 8 March a Mayon Tent City comprising 40 tents was erected in Daraga through the joint efforts of the armed forces, national police and local disaster councils.
4. The Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) is in close contact with the United Nations Resident Coordinator in Manila, Philippines, and will revert with further information if the situation warrants it.
5. No request for international assistance has been received by OCHA to date.
6. This situation report, together with further information on ongoing emergencies, is also available on the OCHA Internet Website at http://www.reliefweb.int
Telephone number: + 41-22-917-1234
In case of emergency only: + 41 22 917 2010
Desk Officers:Ms. S. Metzner-Strack /
Mr. R. Mueller / Mr. S. Matsuka
direct Tel. +41-22-917 21 44 / 31 31 / 40 34
Contact person for the media: Mr. Donato Kiniger-Passigli, direct tel: +41-22-917-2653
Telex 41 42 42 ocha ch
Fax: + 41 22 917 0023
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.