Philippines - Typhoon Lingling OCHA Situation Report No. 2
OCHA Situation Report No. 2
Philippines - Typhoon Lingling ("Nanang")
15 November 2001
1. Typhoon Lingling, which hit the Philippines on 6-7 November and then Viet Nam on 12 November, dissipated on Tuesday, November 13.
2. As of 12 November 2001, the extent of the damage in the Philippines is as follows (source: Office of Civil Defense-National Disaster Coordinating Council):
- Death toll: 184
- Injured: 147
- Missing: 106
- Affected population: 1.06 million
- Affected provinces: 13
- Worst affected area: Mahinog Municipality in the Province of Camiguin
- Population evacuated: 183,435
- Houses destroyed: 1,119
- Houses damaged: 2,811
- Estimated cost of damage in USD: 22.7 million
3. According to the Office of the UN Resident Coordinator in Manila, the Central Government, through the Department of Social Welfare and Development, has provided PHP 7 million (USD 136,000) to the most affected provinces to assist the relief efforts of the provincial and municipal authorities. The Central Government has also informed that it plans to carry out rehabilitation activities in the agriculture sector.
4. USAID has offered USD 100,000 towards the Philippines National Red Cross (PNRC) for the procurement of relief items for the most affected population. In addition, the US Department of Defense has provided a C-130 aircraft with which to deliver these items.
5. The Government of Japan has provided PHP 2 million (USD 39,000) for the purchase of relief commodities.
6. PNRC is assessing the damage and needs in the areas hardest hit by the typhoon. The PNRC is shipping relief supplies from Manila to the affected areas in support of the local relief efforts. By 13 November, the PNRC had already provided relief to 10,000 people.
7. No appeal for international assistance has been received by OCHA to date.
8. OCHA is in contact with the UN Resident Coordinator's Office in Manila, which is monitoring the situation.
Telephone: +41-22-91712 34
Fax: +41-22-917 00 23
In case of emergency only: Tel. +41-22-917 20 10
Mr. J. McGoldrick / Mr. R. Mueller / Mr. S. Matsuka / Mr. K.Quiding
Direct Tel. +41-22-917 1712 / 3131 / 4034 / 1769
(GVA) - Ms. Elizabeth Byrs, direct Tel. +41-22-917 26 53
(N.Y.) - Ms. P. Lee, direct Tel. +1-212-963 48 32