Philippines: Preliminary Appeal, Floods - PHL121

Originally published


Preliminary Appeal Target: US$ 592,046. ACT members Christian Aid (CA) and the National Council of Churches in the Philippines (NCCP) are part of this appeal. The preliminary appeal intends to target 12,500 of the worst affected families through providing food, NFI, livelihood restoration and shelter restoration etc.



Barely recovering from the devastation of Typhoon Saola (local name “Gener”) in July this year, the Philippines was again battered by “Habagat’ or the Southwest Monsoon enhanced by a separate Tropical Storm “Haikui” off eastern China. On 6 – 7 August 2012 the southwest monsoon brought heavy rains and flooded 2,498 villages in 173 municipalities and 36 cities in the 16 provinces of Regions I, III, IVA, IV-B, VI and the National Capital Region. Non-stop rains that started in the evening of 6 August 2012 submerged many parts of Luzon Island particularly Metro Manila and Pampanga.

It was a slow onset emergency, initially with the commencement of the Southwest Monsoon, which started intensifying in mid-July. The situation deteriorated when Tropical Storm Saola passed along the seas off eastern Philippines, which brought more rains to both the eastern and western portions of the country. As Saola moved toward Taiwan, a small low pressure area was tracked on the West Philippine Sea, further intensifying the rains. This first phase of the emergency resulted in periodic flooding in lowlying areas of Metro Manila and Central Luzon, resulting in 50 deaths and the evacuation of several affected communities.

On 4 August 2012 Tropical Cyclone Haikui moved toward south-eastern China, which drew in more of the Southwest Monsoon toward western Philippines. By 6 August, the cyclone stood almost at a standstill (moving at 10 km/h), which led to the very slow movement of a heavy rain band from the southwest monsoon that was then hovering around Metro Manila and surrounding provinces. This led to the second and more severe phase of the emergency, causing massive flooding in more than 50% of Metro Manila and all its surrounding provinces and cities. The rains did not stop for 2 ½ days until Haikui made landfall in south-eastern China in the morning of 8 August which effectively weakened the monsoon for half a day.

However, by mid-afternoon of 8 August, torrential rains began pouring again and lasted well into the morning of 9 August. This phase of the emergency led to the massive evacuation of hundreds of thousands of communities, the destruction of vast agricultural lands in Central Luzon, and the death of at least 66 individuals.

When rainfall figures were released by Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) on 8 August it was confirmed that the amount of rainfall over the three-day period 6 - 8 August alone was much more than the average for the entire month of August (400 mm).

Cavite recorded a rainfall of 1,251 mm, Quezon City 914 mm, Manila 864 mm, and Subic Bay (Zambales) 629 mm.