The Federation's mission is to improve the lives of vulnerable people by mobilizing the power of humanity. It is the world's largest humanitarian organization and its millions of volunteers are active in over 186 countries.
Operations Update no. 6; Period covered: 17 February 2006 to 31 December 2007; Appeal target: CHF 2.83 million (USD 2.30 million or EUR 1.70 million); Appeal coverage: 99%
- A preliminary emergency appeal was launched on 17 February 2006 for CHF 2.13 million (USD 1.73 million or EUR 1.29 million) for six months.
- On 8 March, appeal was revised to CHF 2.59 million to assist 8,000 beneficiaries for 18 months, to 31 August 2007, focusing on recovery and rehabilitation.
- On 22 June, Operations Update no.5 increased the appeal budget to CHF 2.66 million (USD 2.17 million or EUR 1.62 million).
- Operations Update no.6 is a commemoration of the landslide operation over the past year, focusing on the period 17 February to 31 December 2006.
- Operations Update no.6 further extends the operation by a month to 30 September 2007 in order to complete reconstruction and recovery fully. It also revises the budget slightly to CHF 2.83 million to take into account support from the Geneva secretariat in programming and fundraising.
- Disaster Relief Emergency Funds (DREF) allocated: CHF 200,000 (USD 162,602 or EUR 121,212).
Operational Summary: With the support of the International Federation, the Philippine National Red Cross (PNRC) continues to provide relief assistance to people affected by the Southern Leyte floods and landslides. This Operations Update in particular commemorates the first year of the disaster operation.
Focus is now on the construction of housing units for the 191 affected families in Catmon. However, as there had been problems with the contractor, the construction of the houses have been delayed. To ensure that all 191 affected families would have a place to live, the operation has been extended by a month to 30 September 2007.
For longer-term programmes, please refer to the Federation's Annual Appeal.
For further information specifically related to this operation please contact:
- Philippine National Red Cross: Corazon Alma De Leon (secretary general); email: email@example.com; phone: +63.2.527.0854; or Benjamin Delfin II (officer-in-charge of the disaster management services); email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Phone: +63.2.527.0864
- Federation country delegation in the Philippines: Roger Bracke (Federation representative); email: email@example.com; Mobile: +63.917.880.6844; Phone: +63.2.524.3151
- Federation regional delegation in Bangkok: Michael Annear (head of regional disaster management unit); email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Phone: +66.2.661.8201; or Alan Bradbury (regional programme coordinator); email: email@example.com; Phone: +66.2.661.8201; or Bekele Geleta (head of regional delegation); email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Phone: +66.2.661.8201 ext 100
- In Geneva: Southeast Asia desk, Sabine Feuglet; email: email@example.com; Phone: +41.22.730.4320/4349; Fax: +41.22.733.0395