Ref. OCHA/GVA - 99/0253
Date: 13 December 1999
Philippines - Earthquake
OCHA Situation Report No. 2
13 December 1999
1. A strong earthquake hit Luzon, the largest island of the Philippines, on Sunday, 12 December 1999, at 02:03 hrs local time (Saturday, 11 December 1999, 18:03 hrs GMT). The earthquake measured 6.8 on the Richter scale with the epicentre situated at latitude 15.8 degrees north and longitude 119.8 degrees east, approximately 170 km north-west of Manila and near Lingayen, Pangasinan Province. The main quake lasted for more than 20 seconds and was followed by a series of strong aftershocks.
2. Six people were reportedly killed and at least 40 people were injured, mostly by debris falling from damaged walls and roofs in their homes (30 in the northern provinces of Zambales and Pangasinan and 10 others in Metropolitan Manila). Power outages continue in some parts of Manila 33 hours after the occurrence of the quake.
3. According to a report submitted to the President by the National Disaster Coordinating Council (NDCC) on 13 December, there was only minor damage to public infrastructure such as bridges, public buildings and water pumping stations that have been inspected to date.
4. The President ordered all local government units (LGUs) to provide immediate assistance to the victims.
5. The NDCC has continuously conducted rapid damage assessment of public infrastructures including public schools and the Light Rail Transit (LRT) and Metro Star in affected areas and activated LGUs and local engineers to conduct rapid damage assessment in their respective areas. The Department of Health is currently monitoring any cases of injury and mortality in hospitals in affected areas.
6. OCHA is in close contact with the Office of the United Nations Resident Coordinator in Manila and will revert with further information as it becomes available.
7. This situation report and further information on ongoing emergencies are also available on the OCHA Internet Website at http://www.reliefweb.int
Telephone number: +41-22-917 12 34
In case of emergency: Tel. +41-22-917 20 10
Desk Officers: Ms. S. Metzner-Strack/Mr. R. Mueller/Mr. S. Matsuka, OCHA Disaster Response Branch, direct Tel. +41-22-917 21 44 / 31 31 / 40 34
Press contact: Ms. E. Ponomareva, direct Tel. +41-22-917 23 36
Fax: +41-22-917 00 23
E-mail: ochagva at un.org
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.