by Rutchie Cabahug-Aguhob
OZAMIZ CITY, Misamis Occidental, Dec. 28 (PIA) –- The government, through the Office of Civil Defense (OCD), is prepared to give P10,000 to the families of each of the victims who have died and P5,000, to those who were injured, during the Typhoon Sendong mishap.
This was announced by Regional Director Ana Caňeda of OCD, region 10, who said their office has continued to process financial assistance for the families of the ‘Sendong’ flashfloods victims.
Funds for the said assistance is from from the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) Financial Aid, she said.
As of Dec. 25, a total of 1,183 persons, were reported to have died because of ‘Sendong,’ but only 276 of them have been properly identified.
Data at OCD-10 also show that 674 of those who died came from Cagayan de Oro (CDO) City in Misamis Oriental, 464 from Iligan City in Lanao del Norte and 45 from Valencia City and three other towns of Bukidnon, namely Baungon, Libona and Malitbog.
Likewise, of those who were properly identified, 113 came from CDO, 131 from Iligan, and 32 from Bukidnon.
The OCD-data also show that ‘Sendong’ has affected a total of 30,693 families with 160,993 members in 103 barangays in the region 10.
Some of these families have been housed temporarily in a total of 39 evacuation centers for the internally displaced persons (IDP) in the three affected provinces.
So far, OCD-10 has already extended the NDRRMC financial aid to the families of 33 persons who died and to 12 persons who were injured, Caňeda added. (PIA-10 Mis. Occ.)