PROSPERIDAD, Agusan del Sur, March 18 - Typhoon Pablo victims received another donation from the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) .
Regional Director Ofelia Domingo of DOLE Caraga handed over recently to Governor Adolph Edward Plaza a check worth P577, 000 as livelihood assistance at the Provincial Governor’s Office here.
Domingo said the amount is intended for Trento, Sta. Josefa, Veruela and Loreto towns as they were identified as the worst-affected municipalities in the province.
She added the fund will serve as emergency employment assistance for more than 500 workers with a minimum daily wage of P193.00 for ten working days.
“We hope they use the money judiciously to cope up with their needs. This is a short term intervention which will help them through the hard times,” the Dir. Domingo said.
In an interview with Domingo, she said DOLE had already extended a long-term livelihood assistance of P1.2 million to Veruela last month for the rehabilitation of rubber plantations in the town heavily ravaged by Pablo. Aside from that, they will also provide rubber seedlings to farmers.
Rubber plantation is one of the major sources of income in the town.
According to Dir. Domingo, Trento, Sta. Josefa and Loreto can also have access to the grant by identifying the livelihood assistance they need and submit proposals to their provincial field office for processing.
She said their office had already aligned their programs to be able to assist in the rehabilitation of the areas affected by Pablo.
In the final report of the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (PDRRMC), 42,272 persons were affected in Trento, 27,184 in Sta. Josefa, 40,500 in Veruela; and 28,293 Loreto. (Melody E. de Vera/DMS/PIA-Agusan del Sur)