OCHA Situation Report No.1
Paraguay - Floods
15 May 2002
1. From January to April, heavy rainfalls have been registered in the department of Neembucu in the south of Paraguay. The downpours made rivers burst their banks, thus causing extensive flooding.
2. On 6 May, the Government declared the department of Neembucu an emergency area. The Comite de Emergencia Nacional activated its departmental committees to coordinate emergency assistance in the affected area.
3. According to the Secreteria de la Produccion del Departamento de Neembucu eighty percent of the subsistence crops (manioc, potatoes, beans) and sixty percent of maize crops (subsistence and cash crops) have been lost. The yield of cotton crops not yet harvested has been reduced from 900 kg/ha to 500 kg/ha.
4. On 8 May, the Minister of Agriculture and the United Nations Resident Coordinator made an over flight of the areas affected by the floods.
5. According to preliminary assessment:
- 15 localities have been flooded
- 553 families have been affected including 1,107 persons under age
- food and heavy machinery to rehabilitate damaged roads are the most needed items.
7. UNDP has made a disbursement of USD 20,000 for a project to be implemented in cooperation with the Ministry of Agriculture.
8. This Situation Report and further information on ongoing emergencies are also available on the OCHA Internet Website at http://www.reliefweb.int
Please click to View Map
Telephone: +41-22-917 12 34
Fax: +41-22-917 00 23
In case of emergency only: Tel. +41-22-917 20 10
Mr. Erik Haegglund, direct Tel. +41-22-917 32 99
Ms. Masayo Kondo, direct Tel. +41-22-917 19 97
Ms. Federica D'Andreagiovanni, direct Tel. +41-22-917 14 78
(in GVA) - Ms. Elizabeth Byrs, direct Tel. +41-22-917 26 53
(in N.Y.) - Ms. Phyllis Lee, direct Tel. +1-212-963 48 32
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.