Special Report on Flash Floods in Chitral - PDMA KP (05 Jul 2016)
Torrential Rains resulted in flash floods in the stream located near Pak-Afghan border. The hill torrent washed away a mosque, Pak army check post and near-by houses. Joint search and rescue operation of Pak-Army, Police, Levis and Scouts is under way. Road networks in the Chitral district are operational till last report.
- Irrigation channels, standing crops, agricultural lands and electric poles washed away.
- Road network badly affected.
- Water supply schemes have been reportedly damaged.
- 3 Nos Army Check Posts washed away.
- One Masjid and one Madrassa completely damaged.
Relief Efforts (A) By District Administration
- Compensation cheques have been distributed among the affectees.
- District Health Officer along with paramedical staff have visited the area and provided medical treatments and medicines to the affected population.
- Food and non-food items have been distributed among the affectees.
- C&W Department has immediately restored the roads for light traffics.
- Irrigation and PHE departments are engaged in assessing the damages to irrigation channels and water supply schemes respectively.
- Rescue, relief and search operation is still ongoing by Chitral levies and Pak Army.
- Two bodies have been recovered, one has been identified as Army personnel and the other is unknown as his head cut off from body.
- Irrigation Deptt has been given the task to dismantle the artificial damming at Chitral river.
(B) By Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA)-Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
- PDMA-KP has already provided 1200 tents, 6000 quilts to district administration Chitral at the onset of monsoon season- 2016.
- 500 tents, 100 kitchen sets, 400 plastic mats, 1000 hampers and 1200 blankets have been dispatched for the affected areas from PDMA warehouse.
- D.C Chitral has been authorized to utilize the relief funds to the tune of Rs.15 million for relief activities (purchase of food items) in the affected areas.
- General Manager, Utility Corporation Pakistan has been requested to ensure the provision of food items to District Administration, Chitral in the wake of Ursoon valley flash flood incident.