Pakistan: Storm - Information Bulletin n° 1
This Bulletin (no. 01/2007) is being issued for information only, and reflects the status of the situation and information available at this time. The Federation is not seeking funding or other assistance from donors for this operation at this time.
Summary: A severe storm in the city of Karachi, in Sindh province of southern Pakistan, over the weekend has reportedly claimed about 200 lives. The majority of fatalities and injuries were due to flying debris, collapsed walls and electrocution due to fallen power lines. Further bad weather is forecasted and the rural areas of Sindh and the neighbouring province of Baluchistan are preparing for heavy rain. Fishermen have been warned not to venture out to sea.
The Pakistan Red Crescent Society's provincial branch in Sindh has so far responded with ambulance services in Karachi. With a focus to assist vulnerable rural communities to prepare for further bad weather, the provincial branch has deployed four branch disaster response teams, as a precautionary measure, to areas in the districts of Thatta and Badin. The Baluchistan provincial branch is also mobilising staff and volunteers in coastal areas.
How we work
All International Federation assistance seeks to adhere to the Code of Conduct for the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGO's) in Disaster Relief and is committed to the Humanitarian Charter and Minimum Standards in Disaster Response (Sphere) in delivering assistance to the most vulnerable.
The Federation's Global Agenda
The International Federation with its Global Agenda, which sets out four broad goals to meet the Federation's mission to "improve the lives of vulnerable people by mobilizing the power of humanity".
Global Agenda Goals:
- Reduce the numbers of deaths, injuries and impact from disasters.
- Reduce the number of deaths, illnesses and impact from diseases and public health emergencies.
- Increase local community, civil society and Red Cross Red Crescent capacity to address the most urgent situations of vulnerability.
- Reduce intolerance, discrimination and social exclusion and promote respect for diversity and human dignity.
For further information specifically related to this operation please contact:
- Pakistan Red Crescent Society: Khalid
Kibriya (Secretary General); email: email@example.com; phone: +92
51 925 0407; fax +92 51 925 0408.
- Federation country delegation in Pakistan: Asar ul Haq (disaster management programme manager); email firstname.lastname@example.org ; phone: +92 300 856 8136.
Azmat Ulla (head of delegation); email: email@example.com; phone: +92 51 9250416 1; mobile: +92 300 850 3317
- Federation South Asia regional delegation in India: Nina Nobel (acting head of regional delegation); email: firstname.lastname@example.org; phone: +91.11. 2411.1125; fax: +91.11. 2411.1128
- Federation Secretariat in Geneva (Asia Pacific department): Christine South, (regional officer South Asia); email email@example.com; phone +41 22 730 4529; fax +4122 733 0395.