An earthquake measuring 6.2 on Richter Scale struck area approximately 70 KMs north/ north-east of Quetta, Balochistan at approximately 0430 hours on 29 October 2008.
a. Severe. District Ziarat (Village Wachan Kawas & adjacent localities)
b. Moderate. District Pishin (Village Toba Achakzai & adjacent localities)
3. Relief & Recovery
a. Response by Local Civilian & Military Authorities. Immediate response mounted by local civil and military authorities. Headquarters 12 Corps medical teams heli lifted in early hours have commenced work in Ziarat. On the instructions of Headquarters 12 Corps, FC troops have been moved to the affected areas. Details of the effort are as appended:-
|(1)||Ziarat|| Ghazaband Scouts
|1 x Wing (300 all ranks)|
|(2)||Pishin|| Pishin Scouts
|1 x Company (100 all ranks)|
b. Response by NDMA. President and Prime Minister were informed about the turmoil. On their directions, relief activities are picking pace. Following measures have been initiated so far :-
(1) 1x Field Hospital is being airlifted by C-130 from Rawalpindi.
(2) 2000 Tents have been released from COD Quetta to civil/ military authorities for immediate delivery in affected areas.
(3) In addition 7000 Blankets, 5000 Jackets, 2000 Tents and 15000 Plastic Mats ex ERC stock are being despatched from Karachi/ Islamabad.
(4) While 4 x Helicopters have been deployed for the relief activities, 2 x more are on their way. Overall, 6 x Helicopters will be available for relief operation by midday.
(5) 3 x C-130 are standby to meet any eventuality.
(6) Constant liaison with military authorities and civilian administration. Situation being continuously monitored.
4. Losses/ Damages.
80 Deaths confirmed. Toll likely to rise.