1. An earthquake measuring 6.5 on Richter Scale struck area approximately 70 KMs north/ north-east of Quetta, Balochistan at approximately 0430 hours on 29 October 2008. Another earthquake of 6.4 on Richter Scale struck the same place at 1732 hours on the same day.
- Severe. District Ziarat (Village Wachan Kawas & adjacent localities)governemn
- Moderate. District Pishin (Village Toba Achakzai & adjacent localities)
DAMAGES/ LOSSES. 149 Deaths have been confirmed, toll likely to rise, however situation is likely to crystallise by today's evening. Over 370 injured. Approximately 2000 houses destroyed completely.
a. Population Affected - 35,600
b. Total Families - 4610
c. Dead - 149
d. Injured - 370
|Killi Hoshab, Khanozi||500-575|
- NDMA coordinated the relief activities with local civil and military authorities.
- Response by Local Civil & Military Authorities. Immediate response mounted by local civil and military authorities. Headquarters 12 Corps heli-lifted 3 x medical teams in Ziarat which are operating there since yesterday. 1 x Field Hospital each are standby at Rawalpidi and Quetta. Army and CAF troops have been moved to the affected areas which have rescued the survivors and established 2 Relief Camps where at present over 300 x people have been accommodated.
- President and Prime Minister are being updated on regular basis about the relief activities. A coordination conference was held at 1100 hours in Ministry of Interior, which was chaired by Advisor to the PM on Interior. Following measures have been initiated so far:-
- PM advisor on interior Mr. Rehman A. Malik was briefed about the relief efforts. Following was decided:-
- NDMA will be the focal point for all activities related to this EQ
- USC was asked to provide 10000 food packs with stoves in the next two days
- Distribution of relief will be coordinated by ndma in consultation with the political leadership of Balochistan
- Constant liaison with military authorities and civil administration. Situation being continuously monitored.