An earthquake measuring 6.5 on Richter Scale struck area approximately 70 KMs north/ north-east of Quetta, Balochistan at approximately 0430 hours on 29 October 2008
- Severe. District Ziarat (Village Wachan Kawas & adjacent localities)
- Moderate. District Pishin (Village Toba Achakzai & adjacent localities)
DAMAGES/ LOSSES. 115 Deaths since confirmed, toll likely to rise. Over 250 injured. Approximately 2,000 houses destroyed completely.
RELIEF & RECOVERY
- NDMA coordinated the relief activities with local civil and military authorities.
- Response by Local Civil & Military Authorities. Immediate response mounted by local civil and military authorities. Headquarters 12 Corps medical teams heli-lifted in early hours have commenced work in Ziarat. FC troops have been moved to the affected areas. Details of the effort are as appended:-
|(1)||Ziarat|| Ghazaband Scouts
|1 x Wing (300 all ranks)|
|(2)||Pishin|| Pishin Scouts
|1 x Company (100 all ranks)|
President and Prime Minister were informed about the turmoil early morning. They directed expediting relief activities further. Following measures have been initiated so far:-
- 1x Field Hospital is being airlifted by C-130 from Rawalpindi. One military field hospital is standby in Quetta for deployment.
- 2000 Tents have been released from COD Quetta to civil/ military authorities for immediate delivery in affected areas. Despatched by read and helicopters.
- In addition 5,000 Blankets, 5,000 Jackets, 2,000 Tents and 4,000 Plastic Mats ex ERC stock are being despatched from Karachi/ Islamabad by C-130 and road.
- Overall 12x helicopters are taking part in the relief activities.
- Additional C-130s are standby to meet any eventuality.
Constant liaison with military authorities and civil administration. Situation being continuously monitored.