Monsoon 2012, Situation Report No. 4 (as of 17 October 2012)
I. HIGHLIGHTS/KEY PRIORITIES
- Standing water in flood-affected districts in Balochistan and Sindh is not receding fast enough with hundreds of villages under water. With huge swathes of land inundated, displacement from these areas and public health concerns will last into 2013.
- Food and shelter are the most urgent needs of the flood-affected people. With winter season around the corner, the need for appropriate shelter for people living in the open is critical.
- Food distribution to 1.2 million people has commenced under the second phase of food aid assistance, but more funds are required to scale up the response.
- The number of families receiving shelter support has increased from 16,000 to 51,000 since last week.
- The number of people receiving clean drinking water across the flood-affected areas is 343,000, compared to 253,000 the previous week.
- Data from Sindh indicate that girls comprise the majority of malnourished children receiving nutrition treatment.
To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit http://unocha.org/.