* denotes new or updated items.
* BANNU - A younger brother of Pakistani Taliban commander Baitullah Mehsud was shot dead and his body dumped near a canal in the northwestern district of Bannu, police and intelligence officials said on Sunday. The man, Yahya Mehsud, was not a member of his brother's militant group, which is linked to al Qaeda and Afghanistan's Taliban.
* SWAT - At least 15 militants were killed on Sunday in a clash with a pro-government tribal militia, or lashkar, in the Swat Valley northwest of Islamabad, an intelligence agency official. The fighting broke out after militants kidnapped about 70 tribal elders and killed eight of them.
The military estimates more than 1,500 militants have been killed in fighting that erupted in the Bajaur region on the Afghan border in August. There is no independent verification of that estimate, nor of casualty figures from Swat.
(Reporting by Haji Mujtaba and Junaid Khan; compiled by Kamran Haider; Editing by Robert Birsel)
- Reuters - Thomson Reuters Foundation
- For more humanitarian news and analysis, please visit https://www.trust.org/alertnet