The USAID Economic Stabilization Program (ESP) creates jobs and improves economic opportunities in Bajaur, Mohmand and South Waziristan Agencies of the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA). USAIDESP will develop farmers' and livestock holders' skills and resources to improve the quality and quantity of their produce. The project will also provide support to establish or expand small businesses, improve logistics, rehabilitate market infrastructure, and develop trade associations.
To increase income generation opportunities in the focused FATA agencies through 1) increasing productivity of farmers and livestock holders, and 2) expanding small businesses.
- Land reclamation, and development of underutilized lands, in coordination with the Government of Pakistan, to increase cultivated crop areas;
- Construction/rehabilitation of irrigation channels, and development of their surrounding area;
- Improving the skills of farmers, extension services providers as well as improving access to high quality seed, fertilizers, and technologies;
- Engaging local organizations to deliver support, including earlystage concept and business plan development, to small businesses, and providing inkind or small grant assistance;
- Supporting the development of market linkages between business operators in FATA and outside trading partners to help lower transaction costs and achieve greater economic activity;
- Identifying and rehabilitating markets to facilitate the revival of micro and small enterprises;
- Supporting the development of business associations and/or other enterprise groups at the market level.