Appeal amount: $1,151,556
The 6.4-magnitude earthquake that struck the Balouchistan area of PakistanOctober 29 killed at least 300 people and have left thousands in peril. Dozens of aftershocks caused further damage in Tehsil Ziarat district, the area most affected by the disaster.
CWS-Pakistan/Afghanistan reports 133,758 people have been affected by the quake. As winter rapidly approaches, at least 90 percent of homes in Tehsil Ziarat district have been damaged, forcing at least 15,000 people to live exposed to harshening weather. Potable water sources are scarce, and what little medical and sanitary facilities that existed before the disaster have been compromised.
Church World Service Pakistan/Afghanistan is the lead agency in the coordinated Action by Churches Together response to this disaster. Immediately following the event, CWS response included providing 100 food kits, 1,000 winterized tents, 4,000 CWS Blankets, as well as 4,000 CWS Hygiene Kits.
The expanded CWS response provides for continuing immediate needs and a sustained, longer-term response in Tehsil Ziarat:
Provisioning for winter survival (Budget Amount $537,888)
- Provide emergency assistance to 450 earthquake-affected families by providing food and non-food items (stoves, coal & wood).
- Provide emergency assistance to 800 families by providing tents & blankets
Protection & Psychosocial program (Budget Amount $77,976)
- Enhance the capacity of 4,800 earthquake affected families to cope with psychosocial problems by providing psychosocial services
Water and Sanitation (Budget Amount $205,926)
- Promote health and hygiene by constructing 200 latrines in houses with damaged facilities
- Provide access to safe drinking water to earthquake affected communities by installing 75 hand pumps
- Enhance community hygiene practices by conducting 40 regular hygiene awareness sessions
Consumer Complaint and Advocacy Cell (Budget Amount $79,226)
- Provide aid recipients a platform to channel their complaints and grievances to the top management of the aid agencies by establishing a Complaint Cell and to provide rZiarateferrals and/or advocacy for needed assistance
Operational/Administrative Expenses (Budget Amount $250,540)
Because of the unique gender and cultural issues inherent in working in the region, priority will be given to:
- Single parent families
- Displaced families
- Families who have lost their homes and are without shelter
- Female headed house-holds
- Families with disabled children
- Pregnant and lactating mothers
- Disabled persons
- Poor people having no source of income
- Small farmers owning less than five acres of land
At least 37,308 people will be served by CWS through this response, lasting until Sept. 30, 2009.
HOW TO HELP:
Contributions to support this emergency appeal may be sent to your denomination or online to Church World Service, P.O. Box 968, Elkhart, IN, 46515. Please designate: 2008 Pakistan Earthquake, Appeal Number #699-G.
For further information about disasters to which Church World Service is responding please visit www.churchworldservice.org or call the CWS Hotline, (800) 297-1516.
CWS Emergency Response Program special contacts: (212) 870-3151
Program Director: firstname.lastname@example.org