Pakistan

ACT Appeal Pakistan: Earthquake recovery & rehabilitation - ASPK61 (Revision 1)

Format
Appeal
Source
Posted
Originally published

Attachments

Appeal Target: US$ 18,657,853

Balance Requested from ACT Alliance: US$14,785,030

Geneva, 6 October 2006

Dear Colleagues,

One year ago, on 8 October 2005, an earthquake registering a magnitude of 7.6 on the Richter scale caused havoc in an area of 30,000 sq/km in the NWFP province of Pakistan and in parts of Pakistan-administered Kashmir. It was the deadliest earthquake in the recent history of the sub-continent resulting in between 73,000 and 86,000 casualties. A further 200,000 people were injured and more than 3 million people left homeless.

The earthquake affected the lives and livelihoods of an estimated 3 million people. Approximately 90 % of the destroyed or damaged housing is in rural areas. The remaining 10% are in urban areas, primarily the towns of Muzaffarabad and Balakot. Although the total number of homes destroyed in towns is only 10% of the pre-earthquake total, urban dwellers represent 20% of all individuals displaced by the earthquake. Balakot was almost totally destroyed, and will not be rebuilt in its former location (as it is along a major earthquake fault line). The required relocation will result in long-term displacement for its almost 30,000 former inhabitants. Long-term displacement from the cities of Muzaffarabad and Balakot alone could involve as many as 90,000 people.

The earthquake recovery and rehabilitation appeal ASPK61 launched in April 2006, included reconstruction of houses. However, the Earthquake Reconstruction and Rehabilitation Authority (ERRA) issued at a later stage a construction / reconstruction policy that does not allow NGOs to be involved in house reconstruction. ERRA has prioritised their rebuilding activities and the government has been offering a rupees 175,000 package for each destroyed house.

Due to the above mentioned major change in government policy, the ASPK61 Recovery and Rehabilitation appeal is herewith revised and the budget lines related to house reconstruction have been reduced accordingly. The only activity remaining in this regard is the 'recovery capacity building programme' focusing on providing construction skills training to artisans. The bottom budget line is now reduced from US$ 26,947,179 to US$ 18,542,853. The focus of the revised appeal will be on providing support to those affected through projects including Protection and Psychosocial Care, Sustainable Livelihoods, Water and Sanitation, Health and Hygiene Promotion and Environmental Protection and Capacity Building of CWS-P/A Staff/Partners/Local Government Officials and Communities. Two new components, Primary and Secondary Health Care Services and Winter Emergency Programme have been added. As winter is fast approaching, those who have no houses will certainly need emergency assistance.

The components for Evaluation and ACT Co-ordination and Communication have been retained in this revision.

(pdf* format - 349 KB)