USAID's Office of Transition Initiatives (USAID/OTI) program in the West Bank and Gaza, begun in June 2005, is designed to respond quickly and flexibly to priority Palestinian needs. The aim of the program is to promote good governance and youth empowerment.
The program will:
- Increase the ability of Palestinian
national and local government to respond to citizen needs, and
- Increase the participation of youth in social, political, and economic life.
- Support positive interaction and coordination
between local government institutions, the central Palestinian Authority,
local communities, and civil society organizations;
- Promote participatory decision-making
at the community level;
- Engage Palestinian youth in activities
that are constructive and improve their quality of life; and,
- Facilitate the flow of accurate information from multiple viewpoints.
The OTI initiative will complement USAID's longer term development objectives, with a special emphasis on work with youth and local government. The small grants program will be closely coordinated with the Palestinian Authority. Small grants will range from $10,000 to $100,000 and will address the priority needs identified by local communities.
For further information, please contact:
Justin Sherman, OTI Team Leader, Asia and Near East firstname.lastname@example.org, 202-712-1924 or Helen Glaze, OTI Program Manager, Asia and Near East email@example.com, 202-712-1543.