Occupied Palestinian Territory: Winter Storm Situation Report (as of 16 January 2013, 1500 hrs)
• A winter storm, characterized by torrential rains strong winds, low temperatures and snowfall the occupied Palestinian territory (oPt) between 7 and 10 January.
• Some 12,500 people were negatively impacted by the loss of, or damage to, residences and agricultural livelihoods due to flooding and strong winds
• Some 200 homes were severely damaged or destroyed and 650 people were temporarily displaced.
• The weather conditions exacerbated pre vulnerabilities stemming from movement, access and planning restrictions faced by Palestinian communities.
• This extreme weather event has highlighted the need for increased investment in disaster risk reduction, preparedness and response capacities of the State of Palestine.
To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit http://unocha.org/.