Northeast Nigeria: Humanitarian emergency - Situation Report No. 7 (as of 15 March 2017)
• According to the latest Cadre Harmonisé (CH) report released in March, more than 50,000 people could experience famine-like conditions across the three most affected states of the North-East region from June to August;
• While humanitarian partners have scaled up emergency response in all sectors, gaps remain and new needs continue to emerge in outlying areas due to population movements and returns;
• Humanitarian access remains a great challenge, and humanitarian partners are also gearing up for the upcoming rainy season to mitigate risks for response delivery;
• Given these challenges there is an urgent need to preposition non-food-items stocks to cover new potentially vulnerable areas;
• From 5 to 7 March, the UN Security Council visited Nigeria as part of a tour of the four countries of the Lake Chad Basin;
• Following donor pledges made in February, disbursement of urgent financial support is needed to continue to scale up the response to the humanitarian crisis in the North-East.