Nigeria

Nigeria Humanitarian Sitrep No. 6 - 16-31 March 2017

Attachments

Highlights

  • From the 21-27 March 2017, a total of 3,160 new IDP arrived in Dikwa,
    Bama, Jere, Kala/Balge, Ngala and Nganzai seeking protection and better living conditions in these local government areas (LGA) capitals.

  • The Borno State has declared the end of the outbreak of Lassa fever seen on 28th February 2017 while intensifying surveillance systems to identify any further outbreaks. The patient is now stable and was discharged.

  • Emergency Primary Health Care (PHC) services reached 1,085,854 people in the three most affected states in Northeast Nigeria.

  • A total of 59,866 people gained access to safe water. In addition, in response to two fire incidents in Mandarari and in Gulumba, UNICEF in collaboration with Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Agency (RUWASSA) restored access to water for the population of both camps through water trucking and water bladders.

  • During the measles campaign in Borno State in February 2017 vitamin A supplements were given to 1,543,682 children aged 6-59 months, while deworming tablets were provided to 2,200,102 children between 1-10 years.

  • Thus far in 2017, psychosocial support was provided to 25,362 conflict affected children, while 1,445 unaccompanied and separated children received specialised support services.

  • In 2017, UNICEF is requesting US$ 146.9 million to reach four million people, including 2.1 million children. Funds available amount to US$ 52.6 million representing a 64 per cent funding gap.

8.5 million Projected number of people in need of humanitarian assistance in the north east states of Borno, Adamawa and Yobe for 2017 (Humanitarian Response Plan, 2017)

1.69 million IDPs in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states, over 56 per cent are children (DTM Round XIV, March 2017)

4.4 million Children in need of humanitarian assistance (HAC 2017)

UNICEF Appeal 2017 US$ 146.9 million

Situation Overview & Humanitarian Needs

Across the 3 north east states of Adamawa, Borno and Yobe, a total of 1.69 million people remain internally displaced of which 84 per cent are in Borno state. Children represent 56 per cent of the total IDP population and 9 per cent are infants less than 1 year old. The large majority, 68 per cent, of the IDPs continue to live in the host communities, with the remaining 32 per cent living in camps1 .

From the 21-27 March 2017, a total of 3,160 new IDP arrivals have been reported in Dikwa, Bama, Jere, Kala/Balge, Ngala and Nganzai2 triggered by military operations in inaccessible areas which enable IDPs seeking protection and better living conditions to move to local government areas (LGA) capitals.

The State Universal Board of Basic Education (SUBEB), reported that no schools are open in six LGAs (Guzamala, Abadam, Kukawa, Kwaya Kusar, Marte, and Mobbar) in Borno. With stability returning in newly accessible LGAs of all states, there is a chance for more schools to reopen in the LGAs that have been liberated. However, according to LGA Education Secretaries, the conditions still do not allow for IDPs to return immediately to their original communities. Meanwhile, as IDP families move back to newly accessible areas from IDP camps in MMC and Jere LGA, a drop in enrolment is been recorded. Currently there is not a system to track children moving back with their families towards their LGAs of origin as parents do not report when they are going.

UNICEF Chief of Borno Field Office with Deputy Humanitarian Coordinator Lundberg visited Pulka town (part of Gwoza LGA) with a total population of 37,000 IDPs living both in the camps and host communities. A total of 3,000 new arrivals have been screened and are ready to be integrated in the IDP camp and are only waiting to be allocated space in the one-thousand-tent camp being constructed by IOM. The main needs to be addressed include shelter but also WASH and Education.

A fire on March 16th in Mandarari IDP Camp in Konduga LGA, which started in the cooking area, spread and destroyed the camp which hosts over 6,200 people resulting in 3 deaths and 6 injuries. In response, UNICEF sent a multi-sector team to assess the situation and start responding. On 22nd March, a person-borne improvised explosive device (PBIED) explosion caused a fire which destroyed Muna Gulumba camp (Jere) including 2 solar boreholes as well as 180 households’ shelters, and resulting in 4 deaths (including 2 children).

The confirmed index case of Lassa fever in Borno state seen on 28th February 2017 is now stable and was discharged. The state has declared the end of the outbreak and has intensified the surveillance systems to identify any further outbreaks.