• Monguno Local Government Authority (LGA) has been at the centre of the humanitarian crisis in north-east Nigeria, with Monguno town experiencing intense fighting and insecurity.
• Monguno town is in the north-eastern part of Borno State, 133 Kilometres from Maiduguri city.
• The LGA has seen the killing of hundreds of civilians, the abduction of women and girls, the destruction of towns, and the large-scale forced displacement of populations. Livelihoods have been devastated and assets looted.
• Monguno LGA borders with Chad on the fringes of Lake Chad, and throughout the crisis civilians have fled from neighbouring communities of Baga, Kukawa Doro, Marte and Kekeno into Monguno town.
• The security situation outside Monguno town remains volatile, and concerns about the protection of civilians remain high. Freedom of movement is restricted by a curfew from 8 PM to dawn and ¬2km security perimeter around the town. Displaced populations continue to arrive regularly in Monguno, generally from insecure areas such as Baga, Kukawa Doro, Marte and Kekeno. These individuals are normally screened by the Nigerian military upon arrival.
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.