▪ UNICEF supported the Ministry of Humanitarian Action and Disaster Relief for the NFI assistance to 500 displaced households in Blabrine and IRC for 5 households in Assaga, bringing UNICEF overall NFI support in 2017 in the Diffa region to 3,584 families with IRC and 1,000 with the Ministry of Humanitarian Action and Disaster Relief.
▪ UNICEF supported the Regional Health Department for a supplementary measles immunization activity in the Diffa region (Diffa, Bosso, Maine Soroa, Ngourti). 48,317 children aged 9-59 months were vaccinated, including 17,021 refugees and internally displaced children. The target was 52,592 children.
▪ As of end of December (week 52), UNICEF and partners admitted 328,914 children under 5 years suffering from severe acute malnutrition (SAM) to health facilities across the country (reaching 103.8% of the 2017 target)
▪ 1,616 Nigeriens who were forced to return from Algeria were registered in December, out of which 23 are unaccompanied children (2 girls). UNICEF is collaborating with IOM and the regional decentralized technical services for the provision of psychosocial support, food, emergency health care, and family tracing, as well as support from social workers for children reunification
▪ 3,506 cases of meningitis were reported in 2 health districts with 232 deaths. The Ministry organized a partial vaccination response with the pre-positioned but insufficient vaccines. The vaccination reached 38,525 people aged 2 to 29 years. By mid-February the vaccination will be completed with the new vaccines procured by the Ministry with UNICEF support for the submission of the request to ICG (International Coordinating Group on vaccine provision for meningitis).