Regional Summary (Week 27)
1) Recorded events for this week are largely hydro-met in nature. This results from the seasonal change as northern ASEAN is experiencing monsoon and typhoon season while the southern ASEAN region is experiencing drier and hotter conditions. For more details, please refer to ASEAN Specialised Meteorological Centre for forecast between 2 to 16 July.
2) On Typhoon Maria (Gandrong), it is expected to be in Philippines Area of Responsibility (PAR) on 9 July until 11 July morning (Wednesday). It is not expected to make landfall but will bring affect Metro Manila, Visayas, and the western section of Luzon. The storm will enhance the monsoon season so heavy rain will be expected over the northern part of Philippines. For more details, please refer to PAGASA.
3) Cambodia is on warning alert against strong winds and storm surges across the south-western seafront. (Dept. Meteorology).
4) In Indonesia, six earthquakes measured at > M 5.0 during Week 27; one of them, a M 5.0 earthquake on 7 July 2018 in Lebak regency, Banten, caused damages in nearby regencies (PVMBG, MoH). In Philippines, among three earthquakes measured > M 5.0 in Week 27, none created damages (PHIVOLCS).
5) All disasters occurred in Week 27 were within the capacity of respective ASEAN Member States.