Mozambique mVAM Bulletin #4: November 2016 - Maize meal most expensive in Tete
- Prices for imported rice and cooking oil increased in most surveyed districts in November
- Districts in Tete saw price rises of over 25 percent for maize grain and rice
- Maize meal remained expensive but prices were lower than in October in Mutarara and Zumbo
- Cowpeas were almost 50 percent more expensive in Chibuto (Gaza) compared to October
- Over 80 percent of interviewed traders lacked stocks of cowpeas and maize grain
Food Security Outlook
In line with seasonal trends, prices increased with the start of the lean season. The high demand for foods – especially for cereals and imported goods – is likely to lead to price hikes (source: FEWS NET Outlook 2016). The high prices may be coupled with falling purchasing power as households face limited earning opportunities because of poor/zero income activities.