OCHA Situation Report No. 18
Mozambique - Floods
15 March 2000
1. The daily situation report from the National Institute for Disaster Management (INGC) is now available on the OCHA Internet Website at: http://www.reliefweb.int (Mozambique floods).
2. The heavy rains in Save province have been interrupting road connection. Helicopters, at one point, were rescuing people who were stranded on the roads. In view of rains forecast for Beira, Vilankulos and Inhambane, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, who chairs a daily coordination meeting at INGC, urged people not to go back to the areas with flood risk.
3. An Extraordinary Summit of SADC was held on 14 March in Maputo to review the impact of the floods caused by two cyclones (Eline and Gloria) on SADC countries, particularly on Mozambique, and the ongoing emergency situations in those countries. The summit demonstrated regional solidarity and support for Mozambique by countries from the region, many of which had also been affected by the heavy rains and recent floods. Nine Heads of State and Government (Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania and Zambia) and numerous Ministers and senior officials were present. The United Nations and the European Union were the only observers from outside the region. In the final communiqué, SADC members urged support for cancellation of Mozambique's debt and for the strengthening of regional cooperation in disaster preparedness and management.
4. In his presentation, President Chissano announced that the rehabilitation/reconstruction conference will be held in Rome, Italy, on 27 and 28 April (Situation Report No.17 refers).
Special Humanitarian Envoy - information meeting (Geneva)
5. The United Nations Secretary-General's Special Humanitarian Envoy left Mozambique on 14 March, having attended the SADC Summit. There will be an information meeting on Mozambique at 11:30pm on Friday 17 March at Palais des Nations in Geneva, where Special Humanitarian Envoy will provide a briefing to Geneva-based donors and agencies on his mission to Mozambique. This meeting will be followed by a press conference at 14:00pm at Palais des Nations.
6. As of 15 March, the total of contributions to Mozambique reported to OCHA stand at over USD 118 million.
7. Information on contributions is often reaching OCHA from multiple sources. Therefore, in order to avoid duplications/omissions and subsequently to allow for accurate contribution tracking and coordination, donors are strongly urged to verify the contributions and inform OCHA Geneva of corrections/additions as required, using the form provided.
8. OCHA is prepared to serve as a channel for cash contributions for the immediate relief needs. Funds channelled through OCHA will be spent in co-ordination with the relevant organisations of the UN system and OCHA will provide written confirmation of their use. Funds should be transferred to OCHA Account No. CO-590.160.1 SWIFT-code UBSWCHZ12A - at the UBS AG, PO Box 2770, CH-1211 Geneva 2, Switzerland, with reference: OCHA - Mozambique - Floods 2000.
9. For co-ordination purposes, donors are requested to inform OCHA Geneva, as indicated below, of relief missions, pledges or contributions and their corresponding value by item.
10. Any future updates on contributions to this disaster may be found by clicking on Financial Tracking at the top of the page for this disaster on the OCHA Internet Website (http://www.reliefweb.int). Donors are requested to verify this table and inform OCHA Geneva of corrections/additions/values. Donors are encouraged to notify OCHA Geneva of their contributions to this disaster using the OCHA Standardized Contributions Recording Format, available electronically in the above mentioned Financial Tracking Website.
11. This Situation Report and further information on ongoing emergencies are also available on the OCHA Internet Website at: http://www.reliefweb.int
Telephone: +41-22-917 12 34
Fax: +41-22-917 00 23
In case of emergency only: Tel. +41-22-917 20 10
Desk Officers (OCHA Disaster Response Branch): Ms. K. Toll-Velasquez /Ms. Y. Sawada, direct Tel. +41 -22 917 1107/ +41-22-917 1768
Press contact: Mr. Donato Kiniger-Passigli, direct Tel. +41-22-917 26 53
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.