• Due to lack of adequate water and sanitation infrastructure pre-Idai, WASH needs have been exacerbated after the cyclone. The long distances to cover to access water are exposing the population (women in particular) to protection risks.
• The health sector in the district has been mostly impacted by shortages of electricity and medicines. Patients in Muxungue hospital in urgent need of medical assistance (emergency surgery) are being referred to hospitals in neighbouring districts. In remote areas, residents sometimes have to travel over 20 km to access the nearest health facility.
• Lack of food stocks are reported in most locations, which, combined with widespread crop losses and market disruptions, are likely to increase food insecurity across the district in the following months.
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.