• Total population in Monapo district (Census 2017): 393,813 (male: 190,506; female: 203,307)
• People staying in 06 transit accommodation centres: 3,406 people (681 families) (as of 24 March)
• Total area of 8,376 ha of various crop were lost
Monapo district is the second most populated district after Nampula city. It is located in the interior of the province bordering in the east, the costal district of Mossuril, the landfall gate of tropical cyclone Gombe.
Prior to the landfall of Tropical Cyclone Gombe, Monapo had an estimated population of 393,813 (190,506 male / 203,307 female), according to the INE 2017 census.
In the early hours of 11 March, Gombe made landfall in Nampula through Mossuril district as tropical cyclone category 4 with maximum sustained winds up 190 km/h, causing damages along its path to the interior. The heavy rainfall brought by Gombe flooded several roads, damaged bridges thus affecting access to several communities and damaged the power grid and telecommunication system. According to INGD data, by 18 March, 7,762 people (1,552 families) were displaced and temporary accommodated in 12 transit centres established in Monapo district.
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.