Mongolia - Snowstorms
OCHA Situation Report No. 7
UNITED NATIONS INTER-AGENCY APPEAL FOR MONGOLIA "DZUD 2000" - AN EVOLVING DISASTER
1. As indicated in previous OCHA situation reports, at the request of the Mongolian authorities a "United Nations Inter-Agency Appeal for Mongolia "Dzud 2000" - An Evolving Disaster" has been prepared by the United Nations Disaster Management Team (UNDMT) in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia under the leadership of the United Nations Resident Coordinator with the assistance of the OCHA Regional Disaster Response Advisor for Asia.
2. The UN Appeal seeks contributions worth USD 2,981,000 to assist the worst affected population. The UN agencies participating in the appeal (UNDP, FAO, UNICEF, WHO, UNFPA, UNESCO, and OCHA), aim to provide assistance in the following sectors: livestock, food security through agriculture, water supply and pastureland irrigation, nutrition, health, education, and coordination and monitoring.
3. The Appeal was disseminated on 3 April 2000 in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia by the UNDMT, and is herewith launched through OCHA, Geneva.
4. As indicated in the document, donors can make their contributions directly to the Mongolian Government or to the relevant UN agency. OCHA is ready to serve as a channel for unearmarked contributions towards the activities of the Appeal, which will then be allocated by the UNDMT in accordance with agreed priorities. OCHA will provide written confirmation of their use. Funds channelled through OCHA should be transferred to account No. CO-590.160.0, Swift code: UBSWCHZ12A at the UBS AG, P.O. Box 2770, CH-1211 Geneva 2, with reference: OCHA - Mongolia - Snowstorms.
5. The UN Appeal and further information on ongoing emergencies are also available on the OCHA Internet Website at http://www.reliefweb.int as well as the UNDMT Ulaanbaatar Website at http://www.un-mongolia.mn/news/disaster/index.html For additional information, please contact the responsible Desk of the OCHA Disaster Response Branch.
Telephone: +41-22-917 12 34
Fax: +41-22-917 00 23
In case of emergency only: Tel. +41-22-917 20 10
Desk Officers:Ms. S. Metzner-Strack / Mr. R. Mueller / Mr. S. Matsuka, direct Tel. +41-22-917 21 44 / 31 31 / 40 34
Press contact: Mr. Donato Kiniger-Passigli, direct Tel. +41-22-917 26 53
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.