1. Moldova was affected by torrential rains with hail and squally winds in the period of 6 July to 28 July 1997 and subsequent mud flows and landslides, which caused the death of nine people and heavy losses both in infrastructure and agriculture in 26 (out of 40) districts. Exact figures, provided by the Government of Moldova and confirmed by an UN Disaster Management Team on 12 August 1997, report 32 houses destroyed, 716 houses flooded and damaged, damage to 33 sites of cultural interest and 26 production premises, 9020 hectares of farmland, 128 km of roads, 609 bridges and 118 km of communication lines have been wrecked. The Government of Moldova calculates the losses at about US$ 50 millions.
II. NATIONAL DISASTER RESPONSE
2. The Government of Moldova is diverting funds from other social programs to meet the most urgent needs of the affected population.
III. INTERNATIONAL DISASTER RESPONSE
3. No international disaster response reported so far.
IV. EMERGENCY RELIEF NEEDS
4. The reconstruction and repair of destroyed and/or damaged houses in the affected regions is considered to be top priority; the attention of donors is therefore drawn to the need for prefabricated housing units, construction materials/kits/tools.
To meet the most immediate basic humanitarian needs, urgent requirements have been reported in three groups:
- relief items (tents, clothing, blankets, ...) amounting approx. US$ 50.000
- medical goods (anti-infection vaccines, dressing material, water-disinfectants, first-aid- kits, ...) amounting approx. US$ 20.000 and
- food (childrens food, milk powder, cereals, grain, ...) amounting approx. US$ 30.000
5. DHA is prepared to serve as a channel for cash contributions, to be used during the immediate relief phase, in coordination/consultation with relevant organizations of the United Nations system. DHA provides donors with written confirmation and pertinent details concerning the utilization of the funds.
6. Donors wishing to channel their contributions through DHA should transfer funds to DHA account no. CO.590.160.1 at the Swiss Bank Corporation, Case Postale 2770, CH-1211 Geneva 2, Switzerland, with reference: Moldova - Floods.
7. For coordination purposes, donors are requested to inform DHA-Geneva as indicated below, of relief missions/pledges/contributions and their corresponding value by item.
Telephone number: +41/22/917-1234
In case of emergency only: +41/22/917-2010
Desk Officer: Mr. Wolfgang G. Krajic,
direct tel: +41/22/917-1109
Contact for media: Ms. Moulin-Acevedo,
direct tel: +41/22/917-2856