Ref: OCHA/GVA - 2005/0176
Hurricane Wilma - The Caribbean
19 October 2005
This message is not an official hurricane warning or alert for any country
1. The National Weather Center in Miami reports that at 1200GMT today, the center of very dangerous category V Hurricane Wilma was located near latitude 17.2 North, longitude 82.8 West or about 340 miles (550 km) south-east of Cozumel, Mexico.
2. A Hurricane Warning is in effect for the east coast of the Yucatan Peninsula from Cabo Catoche to Punta Gruesa.
3. A Hurricane Warning remains in effect in Cuba for the provinces of Matanzas westward through Pinar del Rio and for the Isle of Youth.
4. A Tropical Storm Warning remains in effect for Honduras from the Honduras/Nicaragua border westward to Cabo Camaron.
5. A Tropical Storm Warning and a Hurricane Warning remain in effect for the Cayman Islands.
6. Wilma is moving toward the west-northwest near 8 mph (13 km/h). A turn toward the northwest is expected during the next 24 hours.
7. OCHA is in close contact with the United Nations Resident Coordinator's Offices in Cuba and Honduras, and will revert with further information as it becomes available.
8. For further information, please refer to the Website of the National Hurricane Service in Miami at www.nhc.noaa.gov, and www.solar.ifa.hawaii.edu/Tropical/Gif/atl.latest.gif.
9. This situation report, together with further information on other ongoing emergencies is also available on the OCHA Internet Website at http://www.reliefweb.int
Telephone: +41-22-917 12 34
Fax: +41-22-917 00 23
In case of emergency only: Tel. +41-22-917 20 10
Mr. Dusan Zupka
Direct Tel. +41-22-917 1645
(GVA) Ms. Elizabeth Byrs, direct Tel. +41-22-917 26 53
(N.Y.) Ms. Stephanie Bunker, direct Tel. +1-917-367 51 26
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.