OCHA Situation Report No. 4
Hurricane Emily - The Caribbean
19 July 2005
This message is not an official hurricane warning or alert for any country.
1. At 15:00 UTC, the center of Hurricane Emily was located near latitude 23.9 North, longitude 94.5 West, or about 210 miles/335 east of La Pesca, Mexico, and about 235 miles/375 Km southeast of Brownsville, Texas. Emily is moving toward the west-northwest near 14 MPH/22 Km/HR with maximum sustained winds near 90 MPH/150 Km/HR with higher gusts. Emily is now a category one hurricane.
2. A hurricane warning remains in effect for northeastern Mexico, from south of the Mexico-Texas border to La Cruz. A hurricane warning is in effect for the lower Texas coast from Port Mansfield southward to the Texas-Mexico border.
Situation in Mexico
3. Based on information provided by the UN Resident Coordinator's office, although Emily caused important material damages, fortunately, no loss of human lives was registered.
4. Most affected communities were Playa del Carmen and Cozumel in the State of Quintana Roo, and Tizimín in the State of Merida. According to preliminary damage assessment, there are many reports of fallen power lines, blocked roads, damages to dwellings, as well as important losses in the agriculture sector. Public services are being restored progressively in most of the affected area with the exception of Playa del Carmen.
5. The Mexican Government is providing through Civil Protection emergency assistance to the affected population and has begun clean-up operations with the assistance of the Military. President Fox announced that State resources would be made available to start rehabilitation works.
6. OCHA remains in close contact with the Office of the UN Resident Coordinator in Mexico and will revert with further information as required.
7. For tracking and further information, please refer to the Website of the National Hurricane Service in Miami at www.nhc.noaa.gov, and www.solar.ifa.hawaii.edu/Tropical/Gif/atl.latest.gif.
8. This situation report, together with further information on ongoing emergencies, is also available on the OCHA Internet Website at http://www.reliefweb.int
Telephone: +41-22-917 12 34
Fax: +41-22-917 00 23
In case of emergency only: Tel. +41-22-917 20 10
Mr. Ricardo Mena, Ms.Charlotta Benedek
direct Tel. +41-22-917 14 55, 917 1205
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
(GVA) Ms. Elizabeth Byrs, Direct Tel.
(N.Y.) Ms. Stephanie Bunker, Direct Tel. +1-917-892 1669
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.