Mauritius Cyclone Daniella Situation Report No.1
1. DHA/UNDP Resident Representative in Port Louis reports the passage, in the afternoon of 8 December, of Cyclone Daniella at 50 km off Mauritius' southwestern coast.
2. Highest gusts recorded at one site were 154 km/h, and the mean rainfall for the island was 300 mm.
3. Three people were killed. Western and southern parts of the island appear to be the most affected.
4. Fifty percent of the island's electricity has been seriously damaged. Reconnection work has started, first in the capital, where sixty percent of power supply has so far been restored. At least a week is estimated to be needed to restore power throughout the island.
5. Water network is also perturbed, and considerable damage has been caused to agriculture.
6. DHA, through the Resident Representative in Port Louis, is in contact with the Government, in particular its Central and Other Natural Disaster Committee (chaired by the Secretary for Home Affairs of the Prime Minister's Office). The Committee's Task Force met this morning to assess damage and possible assistance needs, results of which are expected in the coming days.
Telephone No. +41-22/917.12.34
In Case of Emergency Only: Tel No. +41-22/917.20.10
Desk Officer: Ms. Kayo Gotoh, Direct Tel. +41-22/917.12.58
Press Contact: Ms. M. Moulin-Acevedo, Direct Tel. +41-22/917.28.56
Telex: 414242 DHA CH
Electronic Mail: DHAGVA AT DHA.UNICC.ORG
DPR 310 MAR