Mali: UNHCR Operational Update, 1 - 28 February 2017
600 Mauritanian refugees who expressed their interest in being naturalised have their file being handled by a legal consulting company that supports the naturalization process
50 Protection incidents have been reported in north and central regions of Mali since January 2017
USD 40 million requested for the operation
- 7 partners targeted to receive support and capacity development for the response of humanitarian needs of IDPs
- 1,000 Malian refugee returnees targeted to receive production kits for agriculture/livestock/fishery activities
- 4,000 protection incidents planned to be reported
- 1,500 Mauritanian refugee children targeted to be enrolled in primary education
- 3,500 Mauritanian refugees targeted to receive production kits for agriculture/livestock/fishery activities
- 400 urban households targeted to receive cash grants
A delegation of the Senior Transformative Agenda Implementation Team (STAIT) visited Mali from 13rd to 20th February with the aim of improving the efficiency of the humanitarian response in Mali. The mission focused on leadership, coordination, access and accountability to affected populations, protection, and the humanitarian-development nexus in the context of an integrated mission. UNHCR took an active part in the visit.
On 8 and 9 February was held in Bamako a national workshop on the revision of the protection cluster strategy in presence of 36 participants from national authorities, UN agencies, NGOs regional clusters and MINUSMA.
The 8th meeting of the tripartite commission UNHCR/Mali/Niger was held in Niamey on 23 and 24 February on the repatriation of Malian refugees in Niger. The 2nd meeting of the tripartite commission UNHCR/Mali/Mauritania took place in Nouakchott on 28 February. A work plan for March to May 2017 was drafted.
Project proposals for underfunded CERF funding have been submitted for the Mali situation. UNHCR submitted two projects: one to the NFI/Shelter Cluster for an amount of 300.000 USD, and one to the Protection Cluster for 300.000 USD. In total, USD 7 million have been allocated under the underfunded CERF budget for Mali this year.