I. HIGHLIGHTS / KEY PRIORITIES
• Malawi Vulnerability Assessment Committee (MVAC) Report indicated that 1, 6 million people may be at risk of food insecurity in the next 3 to 8 months. The MVAC will however be conducting its assessment in October whose purpose is to update the findings of the initial findings. It is expected that this assessment will take into account the production from winter production.
• The Government of Malawi presented an initial response plan which had a rural food insecurity component estimated in $48 million, which has been already funded in a 36.9% through in-kind and financial support of Government of Malawi, USAID and UKAID,.
• The Flanders International Cooperation Agency has contributed a total of 200,000 Euros to the Malawi Humanitarian Fund. The Humanitarian fund was established to provide members with ready funds for responding to emergencies
• Partners are finalizing response plans following the cluster approach. This cooperation is taking into account the need to differentiate between urban and rural response and the need to build back resilience through early recovery measures
• Nutrition, Health, WASH and protection sectors should be supported by further analysis and fundraising activities.