Madagascar - Tropical Storm Cyprien OCHA Situation Report No. 2
OCHA Situation Report No. 2
Madagascar - Tropical Storm Cyprien
10 January 2002
This report is based on information provided by the UN Resident Coordinator's Office in Madagascar.
1. On 2 January 2002, Tropical Storm Cyprien touched on the south-west coast of Madagascar, affecting the districts of Morondava, Morombe and Toliara.
2. On 5 January, the inter-agency reconnaissance flight mission was conducted over Morondava and Morombe (OCHA Situation Report No. 1 para.4 refers). The mission confirmed the following information:
Morombe: Some 900 people living in coastal areas were affected. Two people were reported missing. 16 administrative buildings and 180 houses were destroyed. Damages are estimated around FMG 1,114,393,000 (approx. USD 172,507).
Morondava: 1000 people were affected and 661 houses were destroyed. Damages are estimated around 60,000,000 (approx. USD 9,287)
3. To date, no state of emergency has been declared and the Government of Madagascar has not made any request for international assistance.
4. A cargo plane loaded with one tonne of rice and other relief items such as medicaments and tents was dispatched the affected areas. An amount of FMG 65,000,000 (approx. USD 10,062) was allocated to district authorities in Morondava and Morombe for distribution to the affected people whose houses were destroyed/damaged.
5. The authorities of Morombe have identified relief needs such as tents, rice, candles, soap, petrol, blankets, mosquito nets, cooking utensils and medicaments for cholera and diarrhoea. The Government of Madagascar has been covering most of these needs.
6. FAO and WFP have been looking into damages caused by the storm and subsequent flooding in order to address food security issues as appropriate.
7. A meeting of the UN Thematic Group for Disaster Management, headed by WFP, is planned to validate a UN contingency plan to be better prepared, as a few heavy cyclones could be expected during now and the end of April.
8. OCHA remains in contact with the UN Resident Coordinator's Office in Madagascar, and will revert with further information when available.
Telephone: +41-22-917 12 34
Fax: +41-22-917 00 23
In case of emergency only:Tel. +41-22-917 20 10
Mr. J. McGoldrick/Ms. Julie Bélanger/Ms. Yasuko Sawada
Direct Tel. +41-22-917 17 12/ 1258/1768
(in GVA) - Ms. Elizabeth Byrs, direct Tel. +41-22-917 26 53
(in N.Y.) - Ms. Ms. Phyllis Lee, direct Tel. +1-212-963 48 32