Madagascar - Tropical Cyclone Hary OCHA Situation Report No. 1
OCHA Situation Report No. 1
Madagascar - Tropical Cyclone Hary
12 March 2002
This message is not an official hurricane warning or alert for any country.
This report is based on information provided by the UN Resident Coordinator's Office in Madagascar.
1. From 9 to 11 March 2001, Tropical Cyclone Hary tracked southward, along the north-east coast of Madagascar, brought heavy rains with strong winds (up to 300km per hour), affecting the areas from Antalaha, Sainte-Marie Island and Toamasina. Cyclone Hary continued to track southeastward and is now situated southwest of La Reunion Island, near 23.5 S and 53.1E. Atmospheric conditions have now improved on the east coast of Madagascar.
2. Three National United Nations Volunteers (UNVs) based in Antalaha, Maroantsetra and Fenerive Est reported the results of preliminary assessments:
District of Antalaha: No major damage has been reported in the city. One death due to electrocution has been recorded. Two bridges on the road heading toward Cap Est, in the south of Antalaha, have been destroyed. The airport in Antalaha is open.
District of Maroantsetra: No substantive damage has been reported inside the city. To avoid a risk of flooding, people are being evacuated from low-lying areas.
District of Fenerive Est: No damage has been reported inside the city. The road to Toamasina remains cut, due to removal of two bridges.
3. No state of emergency has been declared for this disaster and the Government of Madagascar has not made any request for international assistance.
4. The UN Resident Coordinator's Office in Madagascar continues to gather information through national UNVs in the affected areas.
5. OCHA remains in contact with the UN Resident Coordinator's Office in Madagascar, and will revert with further information when available.
Telephone: +41-22-917 12 34
Fax: +41-22-917 00 23
In case of emergency only: Tel. +41-22-917 20 10
Mr. J. McGoldrick/Ms. Yasuko Sawada/Ms. Heidi Kuttab
Direct Tel. +41-22-917 17 12/1768/3194
(in GVA) - Ms. Elizabeth Byrs, direct Tel. +41-22-917 26 53
(in N.Y.) - Ms. Phyllis Lee, direct Tel. +1-212-963 48 32