OCHA Situation Report No. 1
Madagascar - Cyclone "Hudah"
3 April 2000
1. A third cyclone, "Hudah", hit Madagascar on the night of 2 April 2000, bringing heavy rain and strong winds to the north-eastern part of the country, which is still suffering from the effects of cyclone "Gloria". The cyclone crossed near the northeastern town of Antalaha.
2. OCHA has been advised by the UN Resident Coordinator that weather conditions do not permit assessment of the affected regions. Preliminary information indicates that the locality of Antalaha was severely damaged as well as Andapa. UNDP Madagascar has indicated that, weather permitting, an assessment mission will be carried out tomorrow with the participation of UN partners.
3. The UN Disaster Management Team met today and decided the following:
- support the National Commission for Relief (CNS) to survey areas affected by the cyclone;
- provide immediate support for relief distribution from available stocks on the ground;
- given the hilly nature of the area and possible delays in completing the survey within a reasonable time frame, the UN disaster management team has come to a conclusion that an urgent appeal be launched for food, water purification equipment, health kits, blankets for about 10 to 20 percent of an estimated population of the area of 500.000 people.
5. The UN RC with representatives of WFP, UNICEF and WHO expect to fly over the areas on Wednesday 5 April 2000.
From the DFID Emergency Funds, OCHA has made available 50,000 $ to the UN Resident Coordinator for immediate relief purposes.
6. OCHA is prepared to serve as a channel for cash contributions for the immediate relief needs. Funds channeled through OCHA will be spent in co-ordination with the relevant organizations of the UN system and OCHA will provide written confirmation of their use. Funds should be transferred to OCHA Account No. CO-590.160.1 SWIFT-code UBSWCHZ12A - at the UBS AG, PO Box 2770, CH-1211 Geneva 2, Switzerland, with reference: OCHA - Madagascar - Cyclone 2000.
7. For coordination purposes, donors are requested to inform OCHA Geneva, as indicated below, of relief missions, pledges or contributions and their corresponding value by item.
8. This Situation Report and further information on ongoing emergencies are also available on the OCHA Internet Website at: http://www.reliefweb.int.
Telephone: +41-22-917 12 34
Fax: +41-22-917 00 23
In case of emergency only: Tel. +41-22-917 20 10
Desk Officers (OCHA Disaster Response Branch): Mr. Klaus Wiersing /Ms. A. Carvalho, direct Tel. +41 -22 917 22 70 / +41-22-917 3514
Press contact: Mr. Donato Kiniger-Passigli, direct Tel. +41-22-917 26 53
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.