OCHA Situation Report No. 3
Madagascar - Cyclone Eline and Gloria
8 March 2000
1. On 7 March the Heads of UN agencies in Madagascar discussed a common strategy in response to the impact of the two cyclones. The press statement, issued after the meeting, is summarised below.
2. According to the Conseil national de secours (CNS), some 560,000 people have been affected in varying degrees. Over 10,000 are homeless and 12,200 cannot yet be reached. Health services in the affected zones have lost 25% of their capacity.
UN agencies will intervene on three levels:
- provision of immediate relief assistance
- short term initiatives related to the current emergency and
- strengthening the national disaster management capacity.
4. Interventions by the agencies in the immediate will focus on the following:
- Damage evaluation of infrastructure - ILO,UNIDO
- Impact on crops - FAO
- Technical advice on health environment - OMS
- 3 months feeding programme, including transport and distribution - WFP
- Evaluation of nutritional status and 3 months operation for distribution of medical kits, blankets, protein enriched biscuits, water purification and transport - UNICEF.
- Both WFP and UNICEF operations amount to USD 5.7 million.
- WFP: 270 tons rice, 60 tons dried vegetables, 30 tons sugar valued at USD 198,300
- UNICEF: 867 cts of biscuits, 206 emergency kits, 45,000 blankets, 6 chain saws, Transport assistance to CNS, one communication expert for CNS, value at USD 355,100
- UNFPA: total of 5 kits for reproductive health for190,000 people for 3 months, valued at USD 18,500
- UNDP: assistance to CNS damage evaluation, transport cost, valued at USD125,000.
7. This situation report, together with further information on ongoing emergencies, is also available on the OCHA Internet Website at http://www.reliefweb.int
Telephone: +41-22-917 12 34
In case of emergency only: +41-22-917 20 10
Desk Officers: Mr. Klaus Wiersing/Ms.Y.
OCHA Disaster Response Branch, direct Tel.: +41-22-917 22 70 / +41-22-917 17 68
Press contact: Mr.Donato Kiniger-Passigli, direct Tel. +41-22-917 26 53
Fax: +41-22-917 00 23
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.