Period covered: 1 January to 23 May 2006.
Original Appeal target: CHF 913,000 (USD 696,000 or EUR 590,000).
Adjusted Appeal target (based on revised budget): CHF 2,159,000 (USD 1,755,000 or EUR 1,375,000).
Appeal coverage (based on revised budget): 16.9%.
Outstanding needs (based on revised budget): CHF 1,795,000 (USD 1,459,000 or EUR 1,143,000).
Appeal 2006-2007: http://www.ifrc.org/docs/appeals/annual06/MAA64002.pdf
The programmes herein are aligned with the Federation's Global Agenda, which sets out four broad goals to meet the Federation's mission to "improve the lives of vulnerable people by mobilizing the power of humanity":
- Reduce the numbers of deaths, injuries and impact from disasters.
- Reduce the number of deaths, illnesses and impact from diseases and public health emergencies.
- Increase local community, civil society and Red Cross Red Crescent capacity to address the most urgent situations of vulnerability.
- Reduce intolerance, discrimination and social exclusion and promote respect for diversity and human dignity.
Programme summary: The focus of this programme update is on the Malagasy Red Cross Society (MRCS). The International Federation is appealing for additional funding to enable the effective facilitation of the MRCS assemblies at all levels, as well as its partnership meeting, planned from May to September 2006. As a result of the additional support for the MRCS, the 2006 Appeal budget has been revised from CHF 462,765 to CHF 1,084,924 and the 2007 budget from CHF 450,605 to 1,073,834.
During 2005, a memorandum of understanding (MoU) was signed between the government of Madagascar and the Federation leading to the establishment of a MRCS transition committee. The main priorities were: to prepare for an external audit of 2004-2005 accounts, to facilitate the implementation of ensuing recommendations, to prepare a 2006 plan of action (PoA), to initiate strategic planning and statutes- revision processes and to prepare committees at all levels for the next General Assembly.
Following a delay in the implementation of the committee-s six-month PoA, in mid-May, the Federation met with government representatives to discuss the way forward. It was agreed that the transition committee's mandate would be extended for an additional two months to allow for the facilitation of assemblies at district and regional levels before holding the General Assembly in August 2006. An external audit of the Malagasy Red Cross Society's 2004-2005 accounts will also be carried out during this period.
A second programme update, covering in detail activities by the Comoros, Mauritius and Seychelles national societies as well as additional activities by the MRCS, will be issued in due course.
For further information specifically related to this operation please contact:
- In Madagascar: Malagasy Red Cross Society, Antananarivo; Email: email@example.com; Phone +2126.96.36.199.11; Fax +2188.8.131.52.39
- In Kenya: Susanna Cunningham, Head of Indian Ocean Islands Sub-Regional Office, Nairobi; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Phone +254.20.283.52.21; Fax +254.20.271.27.77
- In Kenya: Anitta Underlin, Federation Head of East Africa Regional Delegation, Nairobi, Email: email@example.com; Phone +254.20.283.50.00 ; Fax +254.20.271.27.77
- In Geneva: Amna Al Ahmar, Federation Regional Officer for Eastern Africa, Africa Dept; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Phone +41.22.730. 44.27; Fax +41.22.733.03.95
All International Federation assistance seeks to adhere to the Code of Conduct and is committed to the Humanitarian Charter and Minimum Standards in Disaster Response in delivering quality and accountable assistance to the most vulnerable. For support to or for further information concerning Federation programmes or operations in this or other countries, or for a full description of the national society profile, please access the Federation's website at http://www.ifrc.org