Libya

OCHA and WFP Joint Mission to Bani Walid - 14 November 2011

Sources
Posted
Originally published
Origin
View original

Attachments

DISCLAIMER: This report outlines key observations and recommendations of the United Nations Inter-Agency Technical Mission to Bani Walid, Libya on 14 November 2011. Given the limited duration of the mission, this report should only be used as an indicative guide.

1 . Objectives

OCHA and WFP staff based in Misrata visited Bani Walid on 14 November to follow-up on the findings and recommendations of the Inter-Agency Mission to Bani Walid on 25 October. Islamic Relief staff also participated in the visit.

2 . Methodology

Meetings were held with officials from the Civil Council / Relief Committee and officials from the town’s main hospital. Government warehouses were visited where relief supplies and subsidised food commodities were stored.

3 . Situation Overview

The Civil Council estimates that some 70-75% of the population has now returned. The remaining 25% of the population that continues to be displaced are either still living in camps, or with host families or in rented accommodation in Tajura, Wadi Swaji, Girza, Wadi Zam Zam, Wadi Gharghar and Al-Leheegia. Damages to residential housing and cash liquidity may be factors delaying their return to Bani Walid.

The Civil Council / Relief Committee have completed a preliminary assessment of damaged houses and estimates that around 250 houses have been severely damaged. Electricity supplies have been restored in 80% of the town and fuel stations have reopened. The maintenance of the electricity network may prove challenging as there is currently a shortage of technicians and labourers and a shortage of spare parts for transformers and transmission lines (these were either destroyed or stolen during the conflict). Cellular phone companies are not functioning and communication is a problem.

The overall security situation was reported to be calm and no clashes were reported.

UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.