Reporting Period: 9-15Jan 2012
· The number of Ivorian refugees in Liberia is 135,208 as per the last update from UNHCR.
· More than 44,200 Ivorian and Liberian children in camps and host communities are accessing primary education, early childhood development services and youth vocational training supported by UNICEF and its partners.
· 142 of all 1,040 children screened for acute malnutrition during the previous week were identified as severely or moderately malnourished. 99 were Liberians while 43 were Ivorian refugees.
· Over 12,951 refugee children are actively registered in Child Friendly Spaces this week throughout 39 locations.
· Large number of caterpillars has been reported last week in Maryland County. UNICEF is working with government and other actors to provide the relevant support.
· UNICEF needs$25.9 million in order to reach all children and women affected by the crisis with therapeutic feeding, access to safe water and sanitation, education, child protection as well as preventing the spread of killer diseases including measles through vaccination campaigns.
· The security situation in Liberia remains calmbut unpredictable. Security has been increased in and around Monrovia in preparation for the Presidential inauguration ceremony scheduled on 16 January 2011.