Reporting Period: 1-8 Jan 2012
• The number of Ivorian refugees in Liberia is 135,208 as per the latest statistical report from UNHCR.
• More than 44,200 Ivorian and Liberian children in camps and host communities are accessing primary education, early childhood development services and youth vocational training supported by UNICEF and its partners.
• A total of 1,062 Ivorian and Liberian children under five years were screened for acute malnutrition during the previous week.19% of all the children screened were identified as severely or moderately malnourished.
• Over 12,819 refugee children are actively registered in Child Friendly Spaces this week throughout 39 locations.
• UNICEF has committed to respond to the continuing challenges facing Ivorian refugees and Liberian hosting community in Liberia throughout 2012.
• UNICEF needs $25.9 million in order to reach all children and women affected by the crisis with therapeutic feeding, access to safe water and sanitation, education, child protection as well as preventing the spread of killer diseases including measles through vaccination campaigns.
• The security situation in Liberia remains calm.