• According to UNHCR statistics, as of 21 July 2011, the total number of refugees in Liberia is 153,995.
• After inter-ministerial consultations, the Ministry of Internal Affairs released this week a letter on new Strategic Direction on refugee policy. Under the new policy:
o Liberian Refugee, Repatriation and Resettlement Commission (LRRRC) will have the lead responsibility for camp management
o UNHCR will ensure that infrastructure is installed in a timely manner so that services can be provided to the refugees when they relocate to the camps
o Continued support to be provided to communities hosting the refugees with a longer term approach to move them up from the poverty ladder.
• UNICEF Regional Director ended his week-long visit to Liberia after observing the response to provided to the refugee population by UN agencies and partners.
• BPRM and ECHO undertook field visits this week.
• The Liberia UN Country Team is having intensive consultations to finalise the revised EHAP. The revised funding requirements are based on the following revised planning figures:
o 160,000 refugees (additional 10,000)
o 100,000 members of host community ( new)
o 15,000 returning Liberian migrants
o 5,000 TCN (third country nationals)
• Liberia is getting ready to celebrate its 164th Independence Day on 26 July.