Liberia: Promoting humanitarian principles in law enforcement
The ICRC continues to help the Liberian authorities respond to humanitarian needs while also strengthening the capacities of institutions in international humanitarian law and international rules and standards in the country.
We trained militaries, law enforcement officials and visited detainees while monitoring conditions in places of detention. Here is a summary of our work in 2016:
- 15,400 flood victims received essential items
- 10,300 residents benefitted from improved access to water and sanitation through well construction and rehabilitation
- 1,200 law enforcement officials learned about humanitarian principles, Red Cross Movement and basic first aid
- 2,200 detainees visited while monitoring conditions in places of detention
- 1,200 detainees and prison staff benefitted from improved water, sanitation and hygiene facilities
- 530 phone calls were made to family members from people in refugee camps
For more information, read the full update on our work in Liberia.