Trucks carrying UN relief supplies were shelled as they attempted to enter the Palestinian refugee camp in Lebanon, where government troops have been fighting Islamic militants since Sunday.
The UN Special Coordinator for Lebanon, Geir Pedersen, says that so far it is unknown if there are any casualties from the UN convoy, but he estimates that at least 50 people, including civilians, may have died in the fighting during the past three days. Mr. Pedersen says the UN relief agency for Palestinians (UNRWA) was able to deliver some food, water and medicine during a truce earlier today:
"It's a very uncertain situation and it's still very tense and we are afraid that fighting could resume any minute. We are playing an active role in trying to make sure that we have a humanitarian corridor that is effective."
Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has issued a statement deploring the criminal attacks against the Lebanese Army, as well as the attack on UNRWA's humanitarian supply convoy. He is calling for the immediate establishment of safe corridors to allow medical staff to assist and evacuate those in need, and appeals to all concerned to avoid further bloodshed.