Lebanon + 2 more

Lebanon: Population Movement Emergency Plan Of Action Update No. 2 (MDRLB004)

Format
Situation Report
Source
Posted
Originally published
Origin
View original

Attachments

Summary

The following Operations update highlights
• LRC with the support of its partners’ response to the needs of Syrian refugees and the affected vulnerable Lebanese communities
• PRCS/L Branch response to the needs of Palestine Syrian refugees.
• Announces the intention of IFRC to revise this Appeal by October 2015.

Click to view the interim financial report and revised summary budget

Syrian refugees are spread across Lebanon, with certain governorates such as Bekaa and North Lebanon having the highest percentage of displaced people. Lebanon is unique in that up until now the establishment of formal Syrian refugee camps has not been allowed. The vast majority of refugees (more than 80%) live dispersed among communities and pay rent, whereas an estimated 15% of refugees have set up informal (tented) settlements.

With a land area of 10,452 km² and an estimated population of 4,467 million, Lebanon alone is providing shelter to more than 1,183,327 registered Syrians refugees (SR) and 53,070 Palestinian refugees from Syria (PRS), in addition to an already existing estimated 450,000 Palestinian refugees (PRL)2. This means that more than a third of Lebanon’s population consists of refugees.

As the Syria crisis moves into its fifth year the resilience of both refugees in Lebanon and the people of Lebanon is being tested as resources are further dwindling. Concerns are rising regarding the living conditions of refugees who are exhausting their savings and resources, as well as the situation of the Lebanese population hosting refugees in areas that already suffered higher poverty levels and low employment rates. Host communities have found themselves in direct competition in the commercial sector, in the labor market and for limited public and social services. With a population increase of around 30%, public infrastructure in Lebanon such as water, sanitation and waste management, already constrained and under-resourced before the crisis are considerably stressed. The burden on public health, social services and schools has risen considerably.

The LRC has been extending its operation to provide assistance to the refugees coming from Syria since the beginning of the crisis and this called for scaling up its capacity. Hence, LRC has been working on strengthening its financial management, PMER, and logistics capacity as well as other capacity building such as cross-cutting psychosocial support necessary for LRC to cope with the situation. LRC had to undergo restructuring/reorganizing of its financial department so as to strengthen the financial management of the organization. This has had an impact on prompt reporting.

On its part, IFRC launched an Emergency Appeal of CHF 18,644,090 which was later revised to CHF 18,003,496.

This operations update revises the Appeal Budget downwards to CHF 17,578,472.

The Appeal coverage currently stands at 13.8% through multilateral support and approximately 37.2% through bilateral support. Thus, the total coverage comes to 51%. The current gap is CHF 8,612, 051.

The attached detailed budget provides the split between bilateral and multilateral support as well as the gaps that need funding. In addition, the financial report reflects the budget that excludes bilateral support already received by Lebanese Red Cross from bilateral partners.

IFRC and LRC together with its partners are currently in the process of revising the Appeal so as to highlight the gaps and priorities. The revised appeal is planned to be published in October 2015.
LRC and IFRC have signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to ensure coordination in security management for Lebanon. Likewise LRC, ICRC and IFRC have understanding between the security managers of respective organizations for necessary security coordination and management in case of a security situation.